Saturday, May 31, 2008

Almost a year gone by!

I can't believe the school year is almost done!  It flies by so fast. I remember at the beginning of the year, talking with various teachers telling me that I would make it.  There would be times when I didn't think I would, but I would make it.  And indeed, by God's grace and guidance, I have not only made it but it has been a successful year in many ways (mostly me learning).  

If you were to talk to me, I couldn't help but talk about my job.  I love the students, even though they can drive me crazy at times, and each day is different.  I love the sense of humor of my students.  "Ms. Cogan's a G!"-don't worry, that's a good thing, apparently.  "Ms. Cogan, you make a difference."  "Thanks Brian, you don't get extra credit, though."  I've also gotten a kick out of Day 16 (named after "Making the Band" band, Day 26), which consists of five of my boys that write songs and perform at the end of my class (great classroom management strategy...they can perform at the end of class if the whole class is "good").  The group is five sixteen year old boys with the following nationalities: Greek, Philipino, Dominican, Arminian, and Chinese...now that is New York City at its best.  Can't beat the diversity.

The constant challenge of teaching is learning how to let your personality shine through but practicing "tough love" at the same time.  I have kind of a sarcastic, joking personality that has a hard time yelling at people or even saying things in a stern way (unless you are my family, sorry :))  However, when it comes to teenagers, or any age for that matter, you need to let them know when they have crossed the line and help them see when they are in the wrong before they have crossed the line.  It can drive me crazy how many times I have to repeat myself or talk to the same student over and over about the same thing.  My students see my personality (I often see the looks they give each other saying, "Ms. Cogan is crazy!") which often means cheesy jokes and sassy glances and phrases.

With this, however, I'm learning that even though I want to respond to every one of their comments, I don't always have to have the last word.  There is great wisdom in ignoring...a trick my mom taught me at a young age.  And, I don't have to let them have the last word either..."Shaun, please move to the front of the room."..."But, Ms. Cog..." "Thank you, Shaun."  If I wait for him to TRY to convince me that he shouldn't move, I've wasted class time b/c he is not going to change my mind.  I just don't let them give their argument.  When I say thank you, I look away and immediately start teaching again.  This does not give them the opportunity to try and they know I mean business.

The greatest challenge of all?  A good one to continue to think, meditate, and pray on: How do I reflect Christ to my students, how do I love my students with Christ's love, with my own unique personality and gifts?  This is a great question no matter what profession or stage of life you are in.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Ruth,
I can't believe a year has gone by either. It seems like you've learned a ton about teaching and yourself. I bet you're an awesome teacher:)
Lauren